Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Robbery is reality... very juicy.

Rio is a place of opposites and contradictions and for this reason it's easy for people to be disillusioned about reality. I live in Leblon, one of the richest neighborhoods in all of Brazil, and it's a pretty safe place. No crime, during the day at least, and beautiful apartment buildings and shops and banyon trees, and dogs with bows and shoes. Everything you would expect from a rich first world city. However, in the same city, about 10 miles away, is Santa Teresa. Santa Teresa used to be really slummy and crappy, but over the past few years, it began to be revitalized, and now is home to artists, students, and musicians-- very bohemian. After finding out about this awesome sounding place, I knew I had to go. So on Sunday, I dragged a bunch of people with me up the mountain to Santa Teresa. Since I was coming from the beach, I had my sunga, or speedo bathing suit that everyone in Brasil wears, under my jeans, a cool shirt on, and a bag with my camera, phone, and keys in it. I also had bought this really cool hippie bag for R$4 that was with me.

On the way into Santa Teresa, we had to ride this cart that drove above the city that let us see breathtaking views of the city, and since it was just about dusk, the sky had a beautiful blue color with the sparkling lights of the city all around us. On this bodinho ride, we met 3 brasilieras and 1 American girl, who was visiting her friends that she was with. After talking for a little bit, we all decided to go eat feijoada at this place in Santa Teresa called Bar do Mineiro, which was on a pretty well-lit block right near a police station. After eating we were ready to hit the bars, so we left the restaurant and decided to walk. Before we even got to the end of the block a black car stopped next to us 3 men with guns got out and started waving their weapons at us. At this point I gladly handed over my bag, but one of my friends, Mary from Miami, tried to run, but one of the guys put a gun to her and said something like "I will shoot you." Needless to say, she gave up her bag, as did the others, and we all ran to the police station one block away. Some of us were crying about their material possessions, but I could only think about how happy I was to be alive. People in Latin America get shot all the time for LESS. For no reason. I wasn't ready to lose my life for a stupid camera and cell phone.

After the incident the cop did nothing except for send a squad car to drive us home, but it never came. So one of our other friends paid for our cab.

I tried to understand this mugging from a sociological perspective, and doing that makes it easier to accept and understand. These people who robbed my things are victims also. Obviously I'm not happy about what happened and I don't think that I deserved to have my shit stolen and held at gun point, but these people are victims of a different type of violence-- structural violence. These gangsters from the favelas have no access to resources, or education. They're stuck in a system that completely excludes them. They're poor, their parents were poor, and their children will be poor. These strong forces of racism and classism in Latin America (and pretty much everywhere else in the world for that matter) are what drives these people to do what they do. They can't get caught by the police, because if the police follow them into the favela they will all get shot with the loads of armory and weapons that are kept there. Also, these robberies happen to rich North Americans all the time, so what vested interest do the police have in what happens to my fucking camera? They don't care and to be honest, they have no reason to. These criminals aren't thinking about how bad they feel that some rich* boy from the states doesn't have a camera, maybe they're thinking that this is the only way they can support their families due to a faulty public education system and the fact that people in this country and even the states find hiring darker people less desirable.

I don't know if I would have been killed if I fought over the bag, but it wasn't worth it to me and I know I made the right decision.

But don't worry, I'm fine!!! I'm fine!!! I promise. I went today to get a new phone but I have to go back tomorrow to pick it up. I dont't have the camera, and I don't think I'm gonna get one because they're soooo expensive and I've already had 3. But hey, c'est la vie. If you'd like to make a donation to the Anthony's Stolen Camera fun, feel free!!

Anthony

3 comments:

Aunt joanna said...

wow, glad your safe.you definitly did the right thing.Scary stuff.
your writig is so descriptive...keep it up babe.
your head is definitly screwed on the right way. you are a mature person for thinking the way you do. Love ya and always thinking of you.be safe and always be aware of your surroundings!!!!!!

linz said...

MISS YOU glad ur safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

meu amor!!!!

que coisa mais terrivel! que medo! brasil sim e muito perigoso e estou tao feliz que voce esta seguro... e vivo!

estou aqui em miami pensando em voce, mandando te energia positiva, amor e sorte! sou olgulhosa de voce e de todos de seus successos!

espero falar contigo no futuro!

milhones de saudades e abracos!!
sua amiga,
katrina