Thursday, July 3, 2008

Eu sou cariocaaaaa

carioca- a person native to Rio de Janeiro; characteristics include supreme friendliness, outgoing personality, hospitality, and fun.

I can only describe my first two days in Rio as really intense. When I arrived on Tuesday at 5 PM to the international airport here, GIG, there was no person there to pick me up wearing a "International Programs" t-shirt. So, my only option was to take a R$ 80 cab ride (the currency here is the real and it´s about .65 USD for 1 real). I arrived at my new home in Leblon, a ritzy neighborhood that's not touristy at all and is pretty residential. Luckily, it's also like a 10-minute walk to school, so I'm pretty content there. Dora, my host mom, is an elderly woman who is actually really friendly and nice. She's so cute... she even walked me to school on my first day, haha. It was like kindergarten all over again. Going to the campus was kind of tough on the first day, not knowing a single person and never being in the city before. Luckily I quickly made friends with a whole bunch of really cool people, so I'm happy about that. At night we went to A Garota de Ipanema (The Girl from Ipanema) for caipirinhias, the most famous Brazilian drink, which consists of Brazilian rum, limes, and sugar. The restaurant was actually really touristy, but we decided to go there because it was an easy meeting spot for everyone to go to. No one really has cell phones yet, so communication here is kind of difficult. Once we all get settled and have cell phones, things will be definitely easier.

I haven't had a chance to meet many Brazilians yet, but once I can speak Portuguese better I definitely intend on putting myself out there and getting into some of these PUC-Rio social circles. Ãlthough I really love the company of the Americans and Europeans I've met so far, I'm really interested in cultural immersion. Learning what it's actually like to be a Brazilian.

Classes don't start until Monday, but I already feel like I'm learning Portuguese. Dora, my host mom, only speaks to me in Portuguese, and that's definitely helping to boost my comprehension.

OK, I have to go register with the local police now... strange, I know.

Anthony

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

anthonyyyy!! its phiona!! i love you so much and am so jealous of you for being in brazil!! and those drinks you tried sound reeeeally good! i hope you have a blast and i will come on here and comment on your stuff from time timeee...love you mi amorr!
<3

Kefryn said...

Hi Anthony,

This is your study abroad advisor checking in! Thanks so for sharing your adventure via blog. All of your feelings (nerves, fears, relief, elation) are a good reminder for me. So many students pass through the office that I often forget how hard it really is to embark on such a journey alone. But you hit it on the mark: only the experiences that truly challenge you are worth it. I remember I almost had a nervous breakdown on my way to my semester program in Venezuela, back in the day. It's so easy to forget these type of feelings when you reflect on the greatness of studying abroad. Somehow, we only remember the good parts. Take care and stay safe!

Kefryn

Aunt joanna said...

hello there sweetie,
Love all that you have written.You are a great writer and you chose the right career.Journalists!!!!keep up this wonderful "journal" sound like you are having a very interesting time. be careful have fun and learn learn learn I am so proud of you.You are a special person.
miss your face and laugh..