Thursday, July 22, 2010

dilemma

Since I wrote last, I've toured the capital, gone to a 3day electronic music festival where the trance music never stopped in the middle of a national park, gone on hikes to waterfalls, and spoken nothing but Portuguese. I'm currently in Manaus, which is the gateway to the Amazon. From here I have to take a 36-hour boat roat along the Rio Negro westward, deep into the Rainforest, to go to one of the best ecotourism spots in the world, the Mamiraua Reserve.

The dilemma is that on these boats you need to have your own hammock and rope to tie it up with, because that´s how you sleep. There's no beds, no chairs, just hammocks that you need to bring and tie up to the posts in the boat. My dumb ass didn't read the part of the guidebook where it said to bring a hammock and I didn't think to ask. Now its about 5 AM, none of the stores are open, and my boat leaves at 7. I don't know when the stores open or even where they are. I know there's some by the boat station so in a few minutes I'm gonna hang out outside one of the stores and wait until they open. The only drawback is I have everything with me-- my huge backpack, and everything in it, so it's ridiculously heavy.

This may sound crazy, but this type of adventure and problem solving is what makes us more equipped to deal with things in our day to day lives. Imagine this fucked up situation! I know it'll all work out. You'll hear about how this turned out once I get back from the AMAZON!!! AHHHHHHH!!!

No comments: